The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program is the federal government’s major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disable to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market.  Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, voucher holders can find their housing, including single-family homes, townhouses, and apartments.

The voucher holder is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects.

Housing Choice Vouchers are administered locally by Public Housing Authorities (PHAs). The PHAs receive federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the voucher program.

A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family’s choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program.  This unit may include the family’s present residence. Rental units must meet the minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the PHA.

The PHA will approve the contract rent amount the owner will receive monthly for rent. The PHA will also determine the amount of rent the family can afford to pay. A housing subsidy is paid to the owner directly by the PHA on behalf of the participating family. Between the family’s rent portion and the subsidy paid by the PHA.

The Housing Authority of Joliet’s Housing Choice Voucher Program provides assistance payments to private landlords on behalf of 1,330 families/individuals who reside in Will County. The program also administers approximately 200 Housing Choice Vouchers for other housing authorities who have clients choosing to port their voucher to Will County.

Landlord's Obligations: The role of the landlord in the voucher program is to provide decent, safe, and sanitary housing to a tenant at a reasonable rent. The dwelling unit must pass the program's housing quality standards and be maintained up to those standards as long as the owner receives housing assistance payments. Also, the landlord is expected to provide the services agreed to as part of the lease signed with the tenant and the contract signed with the PHA.

For an HCV Fact Sheet, click the link at the bottom of the page.

For More Information: Contact a Housing Choice Voucher Specialist from the Department Staff Listing

More Housing Choice Voucher Sections: